Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The "Truth"

For this posting, we've been asked to discuss a truth available on the Internet. Prior to this, we discussed the difficulties of finding "truths" and credible information on the Internet, especially with the new Web 2.0. However, in the midst of all the chaos on the Internet, there are sources where credible information is available. We like to think that large news corporation sites like CNN.com and MS NBC are credible sources that give truthful information and usually they are.

A truthful site that I want to bring attention to is snopes.com. This website is around to bring light and truth behind different myths, lies, and untruths that circulate around the Internet. Their slogan is rumor has it! For example, there was an email that got sent to me about a kid who had Leukemia and sending the email will help raise money for a surgery that would correct a lot of his condition (or rather something along those lines). This email compelled me so much that I forwarded to everyone in my address book, which I NEVER do. One of the recipients of this email was my aunt, and she replied back to me sending me a link to snopes.com. She said that the email was a myth and sent me a link supporting the reasons why. If you are interested, check it out: http://www.snopes.com/inbo xer/prayer/hodgkins.asp. I think websites like this help to keep truth on the web and help to stop lies and untruths from spreading and making lasting impacts. Snopes.com talks about a lot of issues and stories and help to bring forth the truth in this Web 2.0 culture filled with fast and often incorrect information.

No comments: