Thursday, September 18, 2008

"UnTruth" - Monday September 22, 2008

This was a difficult assignment for me because when required to think of an "untruth" on Web 2.0 on demand, I froze up. I waited and waited, and looked and looked hoping to find some "untruth" to expose. What I have come up with was mediatakeout.com. It all came about when my housemate and I were watching a reality show called I Love Money on VH1. As we were watching the episode, she told me that somehow, media take out found out that Hoops (a competitor on the show) won. The season finale has not occurred yet, and while we don't know if this is a truth or a rumor yet, it is an example of how news that isn't so important and that may not be credible can spread so quickly. This may or may not be true, but this website did the same thing last year revealing the winner of hit reality show, I Love NewYork. That was true, this may not be, but it is INSANE how fast news travels whether it be at the right or wrong time and whether it be true or false.
This website also deserves some acknowledgment in the "untruth" issue because of the large variety of stories it posts about celebrities, both true and untrue and how they become common knowledge before they validated and checked for truth. I want to say that gossip on this site can be contrasted with real media sources such as CNN.com and MSNBC because they do have entertainment sections. My concern is that even those sights filter through celebrity gossip that is not neccessarily truth.

No comments: